July 26, 2012
Minister of the Environment and York Region Chairman to tour Keswick Water Pollution Control Plant
Plant operations complement Lake Simcoe Protection Plan
NEWMARKET - Ontario Minister of the Environment Jim Bradley will tour The Regional Municipality of York Keswick Water Pollution Control Plant (WPCP) on Monday, July 30 to see upgrades to the facility, which will make it one of the leading, environmentally-sound treatment plants in Ontario.
WHEN: Monday, July 30
WHERE: Keswick Water Treatment Plant
153 Morton Avenue
TIME: 11 a.m.
ATTENDING: The Honourable Jim Bradley, Ontario Minister of the Environment
Bill Fisch, York Region Chairman and CEO
Erin Mahoney, York Region Commissioner of Environmental Services
* Steel-toe boots are required for the tour. A limited number of hard hats and safety vests will be available. Minister Bradley and Chairman Fisch will be available after the tour to speak with members of the media.
• Keswick WPCP built in 1985 by Ministry of the Environment
• Currently serves a population of 24,000; will serve a population of 49,300 once upgrades are complete
• Total cost plant upgrades - $80 million
• U.V. building houses made-in-Ontario UV technology for the treatment of wastewater
• The Keswick Water Pollution Control Plant is an innovative facility due in part to new upgrades, latest technology membranes and UV disinfection
• Upgrades complement the Lake Simcoe Protection Plan and enables York Region to achieve the most stringent effluent compliance levels for phosphorus of any water pollution control plant in Ontario, including all 15 plants in the Lake Simcoe basin
• Through the Ministry of the Environment’s Showcasing Water Innovation’s program, York Region has partnered with the University of Toronto to pilot advanced treatment at the Keswick facility to help our understanding related to removal of emerging contaminants from an Ontario perspective
- 30 -
Media Contact: Barbara Moss, Corporate Communications, York Region
1-877-464-9675, ext. 1237 • Cell: 905-505-5775 • email@example.com