Opening Ceremonies take place on Tuesday, May 17
NEWMARKET – The Regional Municipality of York will host the 13th annual York Children’s Water Festival next week. The one-week event compliments the Grade 4 curriculum, teaching students the importance of water conservation.
The York Children’s Water Festival is held annually at Bruce’s Mill Conservation Area in the Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville as an outdoor, interactive classroom/playground for more than 5,000 students across York Region. The event brings the message of water conservation home to students in an enjoyable way they understand and appreciate.
The media is invited to attend the opening ceremonies which will include a reading by this year’s Grade 4 poetry winner, Carman Li.
Photo opportunities are available with approximately 1,000 Grade 4 students participating in various interactive water-themed activities.
WHAT: York Children’s Water Festival Opening Ceremonies
WHEN: Tuesday, May 17, 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.
WHERE: Bruce’s Mill Conservation Area
3291 Stouffville Sideroad, Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville
*members of the media are asked to check-in at “the Chalet”
• Mayor Frank Scarpitti, Town of Markham, and Honourary Chair of the York Children’s Water Festival
• Mayor Wayne Emmerson, Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville
• Carman Li, Grade 4 poetry contest winner
• The York Children’s Water Festival, an award winning festival, under the auspices of the internationally-recognized Water for Tomorrow program, is celebrating its 13th anniversary
• Since the event began in 1998, more than 50,000 students have learned about water conservation
• High school volunteers are assisting with events to earn credit toward their community hours
• Water for Tomorrow is saving more than 22.4 million litres of water per day – enough water for a town of approximately 90,000 people
For more information on the York Children’s Water Festival or the Region’s Water for Tomorrow program, please visit www.waterfortomorrow.ca
For information on The Regional Municipality of York, please visit www.york.ca
- 30 -
Media Contact: Taylor Huff, Corporate Communications, York Region
Phone: 905-830-4444 Ext. 1207