NEWMARKET ??" Metrolinx today presented a new funding schedule to their Board of Directors for The Regional Municipality of York vivaNext projects originally funded in April 2009. Under the proposed new schedule, York Region will receive $790 million from Metrolinx for projects to be constructed over the next five years, and $965 million for projects to be constructed between 2016 and 2020. The proposed plan outlines that some vivaNext projects will be extended by five years from the original schedule.
This funding will be used for the construction of rapidways ??" dedicated centre lanes for Viva vehicles. The rapidways are part of vivaNext, a long-term plan for a modern, efficient rapid transit network to help manage growth in a sustainable and environmentally-friendly way that enriches communities.
“Our continued partnership with Metrolinx has enabled incredible progress to be made in improving transit in one of the fastest growing regions in the country,” said York Region Chairman and CEO Bill Fisch. “I’m appreciative for their hard work and diligence in working with our staff to arrive at a reasonable plan that considers transit users and the overall network they rely on.”
“The rapidways will help meet a growing demand for public transit and we’re anxious to push on. Monthly ridership on YRT/Viva increased an average of 7.5 per cent in the first quarter this year compared to last, and over 18 million people used YRT/Viva in 2009,” added Chairman Fisch.
Under the revised schedule, construction of the following rapidway segments will commence between 2010 and 2015:
• Yonge Street ??" from Highway 7 to Major Mackenzie Drive (Town of Richmond Hill)
• Yonge Street ??" from Mulock Drive to Davis Drive (Town of Newmarket)
• Davis Drive ??" from Yonge Street to Roxborough Road (Town of Newmarket)
• Highway 7 ??" from Yonge Street to Warden Avenue (Town of Markham)
• Highway 7 ??" from Highway 400 to Creditstone Road (City of Vaughan)
Funding is deferred for the following segments which will be constructed between 2016 and 2020:
• Yonge Street ??" from Major Mackenzie Drive to 19th Avenue (Town of Richmond Hill)
• Highway 7 ??" from Creditstone Road to Yonge Street (City of Vaughan)
• Highway 7 ??" from Helen Street to Edgeley Boulevard (City of Vaughan)
• Enterprise ??" from Birchmount Road to Kennedy Road (Town of Markham)
York Region’s vivaNext plan is a key component of the vision outlined by Ontario’s Places to Grow Act. For more information about the vivaNext plan and to sign up for project updates, please visit www.vivanext.com
For more information on The Regional Municipality of York, please visit www.york.ca
- 30 -
Media Contact: Dale Albers, Chief Communications Officer, York Region Rapid Transit
Phone: 905-886-6767 Ext. 1020 or Cell 416-206-3716