Community partnerships and collaborations help address local food shortages
NEWMARKET …quot; The Regional Municipality of York, in partnership with the York Region District School Board and York District Catholic School Board, is launching the 2009 Thanksgiving Food Drive. The Thanksgiving Food Drive begins Tuesday, September 29th and will run until Friday, October 16th.
WHEN: Tuesday, September 29th
WHERE: York Region Administrative Centre, Great Hall
17250 Yonge Street
Town of Newmarket
WHO: Bill Fisch, York Region Chairman and CEO
Joyce Frustaglio, City of Vaughan Regional Councillor
Bill Hogarth, York Region District School Board Director of Education
Susan LaRosa, York District Catholic School Board Director of Education
• More than 5,000 York Region residents access local food banks each month, 40 per cent of whom are children.
• In June 2009, York Regional Council endorsed a resolution to actively support York Region’s nine local food banks in the 2009 Thanksgiving Food Drive campaign.
• Over the past few months, York Region has been working with local food banks to determine how the Region can support local food drive efforts. During this drive, specific campaign assistance includes York Region Emergency Medical Services paramedics helping with food collection and transportation. York Region will also provide temporary storage of food collected, if needed, and work with each of the local food banks to help them address their immediate needs.
• As active partners in this year’s campaign, both school boards are encouraging school food drives, offering community hours to students who volunteer at local food banks and communicating with parents about the importance of food bank contributions.
• During this campaign, York Region employees are encouraged to donate non-perishable food items. Bins will be provided in various Regional buildings.
For more information on The Regional Municipality of York, please visit www.york.ca
- 30 -
Media Contact: Jennifer Mitchell-Emmerson, Community and Health Services, York Region
Phone: 905 830-4444, ext. 4016 or After-hours Cell: 905 716-9753