Grab your bike and get ready to explore Ontario like never before!
NEWMARKET …quot; In partnership with the Friends of the Greenbelt Foundation, The Regional Municipality of York invites cyclists to take part in the Northern York Region leg of the Tour de Greenbelt on Saturday, September 26th.
This fresh air festival on wheels is a way for you, along with your friends and family, to enjoy an at-your-own-pace marshalled bike ride through a variety of areas throughout Ontario's Greenbelt.
When you arrive you will check in, receive your rider’s kit, enjoy coffee and snacks provided and get ready to ride at 10 a.m. Along the ride, there will be marshals to guide the way, police and EMS on site and bike repair services. At designated rest stops, riders can learn about all the Greenbelt has to offer, visit some farms and more. If you need to, a "sag wagon" will pick up any riders who cannot finish the ride on their own.
With three cycling routes to choice from (25 kilometre, 50 kilometre and 100 kilometre), the tour meanders through paved trails and on-road, blending the cycling experience of rural roadways and municipal parklands. Best suited for novice and casual riders, these routes go by the Wesley Brookes Memorial, also known as Fairy Lake, as well as the beautiful Roger’s Reservoir and the open space of Pheasant Run Golf Course.
At the end of the ride you are invited to a freshly prepared lunch using foods grown inside Ontario's Greenbelt. It's a chance to have some fun, mingle with the other riders and relax a little at the end of a great ride.
• The Tour de Greenbelt is a non-competitive family event
• Fully paved, marshalled routes with rest stops and free bike tune-ups
• Live entertainment and freshly prepared lunch featuring local Greenbelt food each day
• Free parking is available at each event
• Saturday, September 26th
• 8:30 a.m. - Event day check-in, last-minute registration and coffee and refreshments
• 9:30 a.m. - Warm-up and announcements
• 10:00 a.m. - Ride begins
• 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. - Post ride BBQ and activities, including live entertainment each day
• Town of Newmarket Regional Councillor John Taylor will welcome riders
• All three legs start and finish at the Newmarket Main Street Farmers’ Market
Details for event participants:
• Event day registration is $40 per person
• Children under 14 are free (ID required) but must be registered by an accompanying adult
• One adult may register up to four children
• Helmets are mandatory for the ride
• The fee includes a Tour de Greenbelt rider kit featuring sponsor goodies, snacks and beverages at rest stations, return transportation to the start point and a barbecue lunch at the end of the ride
• Registration can be done online at www.tourdegreenbelt.ca
• Aeroplan members earn points
• Register by phone at 416-960-0001 or 1-888-960-0030
• Register at the event beginning at 8:30 a.m. A $5 surcharge applies for same-day registrations
• No refunds are available
For information about the Tour de Greenbelt or to register for the event, please visit www.tourdegreenbelt.ca
or call 1-888-960-0030.
For more information on The Regional Municipality of York, please visit www.york.ca
- 30 -
Media Contact: Tim Paleczny, Corporate Communications Specialist, York Region
Phone: 905 830-4444 Ext. 1238, 416 297-9696 or Toll free 1-877-464-9675
Cell Phone: 905 251-6413 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org