Free event part of National Public Works Week celebration from May 17 th to 23 rd
NEWMARKET – The Regional Municipality of York celebrates National Public Works Week with a series of events, including a free Family Fun Day Open House on Saturday, May 23rd in the Town of East Gwillimbury.
WHEN: Saturday, May 23rd
10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
WHERE: Bales Drive Operations Centre
90 Bales Drive East, Town of East Gwillimbury
(Near the intersection of Davis Drive and Woodbine Avenue)
The National Public Works Week Family Fun Day Open House will feature a number of activities and displays for the whole family, including:
• Mr. Something Something's bicycle-powered music band (see them on You Tube)
• Hopping into big trucks, maintenance vehicles, a fully-stocked ambulance, a fire pumper truck and the Police Save-A-Life vehicle
• Craft stations in the sign shop and at our York Region Transit and waste management displays
• Face painting
• Playing the What Goes Down the Sewer game
• Participating in the Lather Up, Go with the Flow and 3-Times a Day interactive activities
• Looking like an astronaut while trying on “confined space entry” equipment
• Taking a bus tour on a YRT/Viva bus to the Region’s:
o Material Recovery Facility – go through the weigh scale and see how your blue box items are processed
o Viva Bus Maintenance Facility – see buses lifted for oil changes and cruise through the bus wash
• Touring the operations garage and maintenance facility
• Meeting our mascots Pylon Pete, Parry the Paramedic and Toby the mini bus
Families can also learn about various Regional services, vote for their favourite designs in our “Paint-a-Plow” contest, have a BBQ lunch for a donation to our charity and get free mulch for the garden. (2-30 Litre (2 cubic foot) bags of mulch are available to the first 50 people who arrive).
For more information and a map to the Operations Centre, please visit www.york.ca
and click on the National Public Works Week link on the front page.
- 30 -
Media Contact: Michael Kemp, Corporate Communications, York Region
Phone: 905 830-4444 Ext. 1232 / Cell: 905 251-6419