The Regional Municipality of York is ready for winter weather
Salt trucks, sanders and snow removal trucks prepared for snow on our roadways
NEWMARKET – With the first signs of winter weather appearing, The Regional Municipality of York reminds residents that the Region’s Winter Maintenance program is underway and staffed at full capacity to keep our arterial roads clear of snow and ice.
York Region's Transportation Services department is responsible for the maintenance of approximately 1,100 kilometres (or more than 3,300 lane-kilometres) of arterial roadways, including snow removal, sanding and salting.
The Region has a $12 million Winter Maintenance program that includes:
• The use of a salt-brine solution sprayed on the roads before snowfalls to keep roads from icing and preventing snow and ice from bonding to the pavement, making it easier to remove
• A "bare pavement" policy to clear roads to a bare pavement condition as soon as reasonably possible following storm conditions
• A Road Weather Information System (RWIS) consisting of six weather stations in key parts of the Region to update temperature, pavement condition, salt concentration and precipitation
• A Global Positioning System (GPS) to monitor road coverage by vehicles and track the application rate of both salt and sand
• Drive-through salt and sand storage sheds to reduce the amount of materials exposed to the environment
• Computerized spreader controls on vehicles to more precisely spread both sand and salt
York Region encourages everyone to take extra care during winter driving conditions and help road clearing efforts by slowing down and driving cautiously around winter maintenance vehicles.
York Region’s Transportation Services department works together with colleagues from the Community and Health Services department and York Regional Police Services to keep our roads safe by engineering safer roads, educating drivers about road conditions and supporting traffic enforcement efforts by Police.
- 30 -
Media Contact: Michael Kemp, Corporate Communications, York Region
Phone: 905 830-4444, ext. 1232 or Cell 905 251-6419
*York Region provides ride-a-long opportunities for media. If you would like to arrange a snow plow, salt truck or sand truck ride, please contact Corporate Communication Services.*