The Regional Municipality of York hosts community meetings to address road improvements in Town of Markham
Residents invited to continue earlier discussions on road improvements
NEWMARKET – The Regional Municipality of York is hosting two community meetings in the Town of Markham to assess the current state of major roads and discuss methods for improving transportation on select roadways. This plan is part of a larger transportation strategy to increase transit use, manage travel demand and promote alterative modes of travel.
The first meeting is scheduled for the community of Unionville:
When: Tuesday, June 3rd
Where: Markham Civic Centre – 101 Town Centre Boulevard, Town of Markham
The second meeting is scheduled for the community of Milliken:
When: Thursday, June 5th
Where: Fellowship Baptist Church – 7478 Kennedy Road, Town of Markham
A fourth meeting will be scheduled for the community of Thornhill at a future date. York Region will send notices via newspaper advertisements with details once the meeting has been arranged.
The meetings will have the following schedule:
Open House: 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Presentations: 7 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.
Q&A: 7:45 p.m. to 9 p.m.
York Region is undertaking Environmental Assessments for improvements on the following roads:
• 16th Avenue – from Yonge Street to York-Durham Line
• Kennedy Road – from Steeles Avenue to 16th Avenue
• McCowan Road – from Steeles Avenue to 16th Avenue
• Bayview Avenue – from John Street to Major Mackenzie Drive
• Leslie Street – from Steeles Avenue to Major Mackenzie Drive
Inquiries or information on how to obtain copies of presentation materials or discussion summaries are available as follows:
• Online at http://transitsupportiveroads.cenet.ca/
• By phone (for a printed copy) at 1-866-386-6225
• For pick-up at the York Region Administrative Centre or Town of Markham offices
• By email (requesting a copy) at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on The Regional Municipality of York, please visit www.york.ca
- 30 -
Media Contact: Ava Baccari, Corporate Communications, York Region
Phone: 905 830-4444 Ext. 1207, 416 297-9696 or