NEWMARKET – The City of Vaughan and The Regional Municipality of York will officially open a joint emergency response station for Vaughan Fire and Rescue Service and York Region EMS.
WHEN: Tuesday, September 25th
Opening ceremonies begin at 3:00 p.m.
Tours and open house 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
WHERE: The Scott Somerville Fire and Rescue Service Station No. 7-9 and York Region Emergency Medical Services Paramedic Response Station
9601 Islington Avenue (between Rutherford Road and Major Mackenzie Drive)
City of Vaughan
• York Regional Chairman and CEO Bill Fisch
• City of Vaughan Mayor Linda Jackson
• City of Vaughan Councillor Tony Carella, Ward 2
• Former Chief Administrative Officer/City Manager, City of Vaughan, Scott Somerville
• Co-Masters of Ceremonies: Vaughan City Manager Michael DeAngelis and York Region Chief Administrative Officer Bruce Macgregor
• This new joint station is strategically located to better deploy EMS, fire and rescue resources, and ensure the future emergency needs of residents are met. It also results in reduced capital and construction costs for both partners.
• This station is the fourth co-shared facility between Vaughan Fire and Rescue Service and York Region EMS, but the first facility in York Region to achieve a gold-rating in the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) program, run by the Canadian Green Building Council.
• LEED certified buildings are recognized for striving towards environmental responsibility in design and building. Gold certification is the second highest achievement.
• Some features of this building include reducing indoor potable water use by 55 per cent by using waterless urinals and ultra flow lavatories and showers, implementing a “Green Housekeeping” program and significantly lowering lightening power density.
• In addition to its gold LEED rating, the Scott Somerville Fire and Rescue Service Station No. 7-9 is also the proud recipient of a 2007 Canadian Project Excellence (CPEX) award under the Vision category. The annual CPEX awards recognize project achievements demonstrating the highest degree of merit and ingenuity.
For more information on this or any other health-related topic, please contact York Region Health Services Health Connection at 1-800-361-5653.
For more information on The City of Vaughan, please visit www.vaughan.ca
- 30 -
Media Contacts: Madeline Zito, Corporate Communications, City of Vaughan
Phone: 905 832-8585 ext. 8027
Jennifer Mitchell-Emmerson, Health Services, York Region
Phone: 905 830-4444, ext. 4016 or After-hours Cell 905 716-2717