May 24, 2007
Run/Walkathon has raised more than $3 million to date for those with physical disabilities
What: The 31st Annual Easter Seals Run/Walkathon
Sunday, May 27th
Registration is open from 7 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
Run/Walkathon begins at 8:30 a.m.
East parking lot of Upper Canada Mall, Town of
· The route starts at Upper Canada Mall and proceeds north on Yonge Street; west on Green Lane; south on Bathurst Street; east on Highway 9 and back to the Upper Canada Mall.
· The Run/Walkathon began in the Spring of 1976.
· Founder Joe Persechini recruited 65 runners in the first year of the Run/Walkathon and raised $2,700 for Easter Seals.
· Today, the Run/Walkathon attracts more than 1,500 participants and raises over $100,000 each year for Easter Seals.
· The total distance of the run is nine kilometres: brisk walkers can complete the run in approximately one hour.
· The Run/Walkathon has grown into the largest fundraising event in York Region in support of Easter Seals.
For more information on the Easter Seal Society and the Run/Walkathon, visit: www.persechinirun.org
- 30 -
For more information on The
Media Contact: Barb Saunders, The Easter Seal Society,
Phone: 1-800-668-6252 / 416 421-8377, ext. 326 / Cell: 416 655-9546
Melissa Di Costanzo, Corporate Communications,
Phone: 905 830-4444