Family Fun Day on May 26thto highlight Transportation and Works community contributions
NEWMARKET – The Regional Municipality of York’s Transportation and Works department will celebrate National Pubic Works Week from May 20th to 26th with a number of events designed to educate residents on the important contributions that Transportation and Works professionals make to their communities. The week will culminate with a free Family Fun Day Open House on Saturday, May 26th from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The free Family Fun Day Open House will take place at three locations:
• The York Region Waste Management Centre – 100 Garfield Wright Boulevard, East Gwillimbury
o Includes a facility tour, discounted composter sale, Goodwill drop-off, kids crafts, and educational video
• The York Region Operations Centre – 90 Bales Drive East, East Gwillimbury
o Includes a facility tour, traffic signal demonstration, sign making craft, “hop on, hop off” trucks, and vintage Police vehicle display
• The YRT/Viva Newmarket Transit Depot – 18106 Yonge Street, Newmarket
o Includes tour of 60-foot Viva bus, drive-through bus wash, photo in driver’s seat and kids craft corner
Among the other events taking place during National Public Works Week:
• Eight school tours of York Region’s roads, waste, transit and water and wastewater facilities
• A snow plow scoop design contest between several York Region schools
• A fundraising and goods drop-off campaign between the Region’s Transportation and Works branches to benefit the York Region Street Outreach program
• Career seminars at local high schools by York Region Transportation and Works staff
• The Miller Cup challenge in the Town of Richmond Hill – truck driving and pipe repair contest
National Public Works Week was started in 1960 by the American Public Works Association (APWA) to celebrate the tens of thousands of people in North America who provide and maintain the infrastructure and services collectively known as public works.
York Region began a public celebration of National Public Works Week in 2005, and was the 2006 recipient of the Bruce Brunton Award for outstanding National Public Works Week activities, by the Ontario Public Works Association (Ontario’s branch of the APWA).
For more information on York Region’s National Public Works Week events, please click on the front page link at www.york.ca
- 30 -
For more information on The Regional Municipality of York, please visit www.york.ca
Media Contact: Michael Kemp, Corporate Communications, York Region
Phone: (905) 830-4444, ext. 1232 or Cell (905) 251-6419