June 29, 2007
Media Release

Blue Willow Terrace Apartments

 
NEWMARKET – In partnership with the Government of Canada, the Province of Ontario and the City of Vaughan, The Regional Municipality of York today celebrated the grand opening of Blue Willow Terrace Apartments, a new Regional building that provides affordable rental housing for seniors.
 
York Regional Council made a strong commitment to this $11.4 million project.  York Region invested an equity contribution of approximately $6 million and provided financing of $3.7 million that will be re-paid through tenant rents.  In addition, Housing York Inc., which is York Region’s housing corporation, manages and maintains these apartments as part of its affordable rental housing portfolio.
 
The project also received the following partnership support:
• more than $1.7 million from the Canada-Ontario Affordable Housing Program
• more than $200,000 per year from Ontario’s Strong Communities Rent Supplement Program to provide rent-geared-to-income support for 42 apartments
• a long-term land lease at no cost from the City of Vaughan
• a 5,300-square foot Community Activity Centre on the ground floor (also open to the community) that is operated by the City of Vaughan
 
Located at 133 Fieldstone Drive (west of Weston Road and north of Highway 7) in the City of Vaughan’s Woodbridge community, Blue Willow Terrace is a newly-constructed, four-storey building housing 54 one-bedroom and six two-bedroom apartments.  Three apartments located on the ground floor are wheelchair accessible and were specially designed to accommodate tenants with physical disabilities.
 
York Region incorporated enhanced energy conservation features into the design and construction of the building.  They include upgraded roof and wall insulation, upgraded glazing and fibreglass window frames, heat and energy recovery ventilators, a high-efficiency boiler, chiller pumps and fans and motion sensors.  In recognition of the building’s energy efficiency, Natural Resources Canada gave York Region an award of $60,000 under the Commercial Building Incentive Program.   The Region will save about $35,000 each year in energy costs while reducing annual greenhouse gas emissions by 137 tonnes of carbon dioxide.
 
Blue Willow Terrace offers a mix of rent-geared-to-income and market rent units.  Forty-two units (70 per cent) are offered to seniors requiring rent-geared-to-income assistance and the remaining 18 units (30 per cent) are provided at market rent.
 
York Region is committed to providing a wide range of housing options to residents through its action-based York Region Housing Supply Strategy that focuses on the provision of affordable rental housing and the creation of rent-geared-to-income housing.  This strategy was formally adopted by Regional Council in June 2002.
 
Blue Willow is the latest addition to the Housing York Inc. portfolio.  In 2004, Armitage Gardens was opened, adding 58 units for seniors living in the Town of Newmarket.  The next project is Newmarket’s Tom Taylor Place, which is currently underway.
 
- 30 -
 
Media Contact: Tim Paleczny, Corporate Communications, York Region
 Phone: 905 830-4444 ext. 1238, 416 297-9696 or Toll free 1-877-464-9675
 Cell Phone: 905 251-6413  Email: tim.paleczny@york.ca
 
 

Contact Information
 
Back to top