• Contest entries will be accepted until May 29, 2006.
• All submissions will be judged on originality and impact by an internal selection committee. Winners will receive special recognition and prizes at a Richmond Hill Centre Terminal ceremony on June 12, 2006.
• Winning submissions will be published on the YRT Web site with a photo of the author.
• All entrants must read the full contest rules and regulations before entering a submission below.
YRT and Viva facts
• York Region Transit (YRT) was formed in 2001 following amalgamation of local York Region-based transit services, and is now in its sixth year of operation
• Viva Rapid Transit was launched in September 2005
• YRT and Viva operate as a single system
• 262 conventional buses
• 85 Viva Rapid Transit buses
• 60 Mobility Plus vehicles
• 4 terminals
• 3,800 bus stops
• 600 shelters
• In 2005, YRT and Viva Rapid Transit combined to carry 15.2 million passengers – an increase of 10.2 per cent from 2004
• 2005 marked the fifth consecutive year of 10 per cent or greater growth in passengers
• On average, YRT carries 55,000 riders each weekday
- 30 -
Media Contact: Michael Kemp, Corporate Communications, York Region
Phone: (905) 830-4444, ext. 1232 or after-hours pager 905-830-3302