All York Region residents reminded to conserve outdoor water use during hot, humid weather
NEWMARKET – The Regional Municipality of York has removed the voluntary Stage 1 Outdoor Water Advisory in the communities of Kleinburg and King City. Both communities are now operating under local municipal outdoor water use bylaws.
York Region would like to thank the residents of Kleinburg and King City for their continued co-operation and ongoing water conservation efforts during the past month while the Stage 1 Advisories and Stage 2 Water Bans were in place.
York Region officials made the decision to lift the Stage 1 Water Advisory following the successful connection to a nearby test well in Kleinburg and the rehabilitation of the backup well in King City. Water tower levels continue to be monitored in both communities to ensure adequate water supplies are available for residents and businesses.
All areas and municipalities within York Region are currently operating under regular municipal water use by-laws with no additional restrictions currently in place. York Region residents are reminded to assist in conserving water during hot, dry weather by following these simple guidelines:
• Refrain from heavy lawn watering as lawns only need 2.5 centimetres (1 inch) of water per week and less frequent watering will encourage grass to develop deeper roots and become stronger
• Water lawns late in the evening or early in the morning to prevent evaporation
• When mowing the lawn, leave the grass at least 8 centimetres (3 inches) long to provide shade for the roots
• Leave grass clippings on the lawn to retain moisture
• Try going to a carwash to clean your car – it's more environmentally friendly
• Fill pools so that the water level reaches 15 to 20 centimetres (6 to 8 inches) below the top edge of the pool and cover to prevent evaporation
• Sweep sidewalks and driveways instead of hosing them down with water
For complete information on outdoor water use in York Region, including bylaws for all nine municipalities, please visit the York Region Web site www.york.ca
and click on the Water Conservation icon or phone the Water Conservation Hotline toll-free at 1-877-464-9675 Ext. 5341 or locally (905) 954-4006 to speak with a Regional representative.
- 30 -
Media Contact: Tracy Atkins, Communications Specialist, Corporate Communications, York Region
Phone: (905) 830-4444, Ext. 1209 or After-hours Pager (905) 830-3302