NEWMARKET – York Region will be one of many communities in Ontario and around the world participating in IWALK - International Walk to School Day on Wednesday, October 5, 2005.
This year, approximately 96 local schools are registered for this popular event which encourages students and families to use active, rather than vehicular, transportation whenever possible.
WHAT: International Walk to School Day – Media Event
WHEN: Wednesday, October 5th
WHERE & WHO: The following school has been chosen as the media school for this event … Students, families and staff have planned special activities to promote walking more and driving less!
St. Margaret Mary Catholic Elementary School
Walk to school event – 8:10 – 9:40 a.m.
30 Margaret Mary Rd, Woodbridge
Principal: Joseph Cordi/Contact: Kathy Romano (905-851-3935)
• 8:10-8:20 walk to school, school displays banner and colouring pages
• 9:00 a.m. school assembly with guest speaker Vaughan Regional Councillor Joyce Frustaglio. The Blue Mobile will be present.
• 9:40 a.m. all students will walk around the building
• Approximately 1098 schools registered this year in Ontario
• International Walk to School Day is part of York Region’s larger, ongoing efforts to encourage students and their families to use active transportation including walking, biking and in-line skating whenever possible
• York Region is working in partnership with the school community to find creative ways to fit physical activity into every child’s school day
For information on International Walk to School Day or other health-related issues, contact York Region Health Services Health Connection at 1-800-361-5653 (toll free) or visit www.york.ca