NEWMARKET – York Regional Council today authorized an agreement with King Township to service King City through a local sewage collection system and connection with the York Durham Sewage System (YDSS).
The agreement, approved by King Township Council on December 8th, includes the Township abandoning its court appeal of Regional By-law S-0060-2001-071 that gives the Region control of the King City local sewage collection system in conjunction with the YDSS.
“This agreement will allow King City residents and businesses to receive the sewer servicing they require to complement the King City Community Plan,” said Bill Fisch, Regional Chair and CEO. “I am very optimistic that together we can now move forward to build this needed infrastructure quickly and economically.”
The main points of the agreement include:
- The Region and Township co-operating on all matters relating to the sewer servicing project
- The YDSS connection will be sized at 450 mm, based on a design capacity of 240 L/s
- The Region will construct the YDSS connection and all phases of the local collection system in the existing community
- The Township will assume ownership, operation and maintenance of the collection system in phases as it is constructed
“The Region’s plans for a local collection system have always been the best available option for King City,” said Chair Fisch, noting the Region has already spent in excess of $600,000 defending its Regional by-law.
The YDSS incorporates a proven, gravity-based technology that is simple and environmentally sound. It will connect King City to the YDSS in phases – with the first phase slated for completion by December 2004. The entire project is expected to be complete by December 2008.
For more information on The Regional Municipality of York, the services we offer and links to our nine area municipalities, please visit our Web site at: www.region.york.on.ca
Contact: Patrick Casey, Acting Director, York Region Corporate Communications
(905) 830-4444, ext. 1235 or cell (905) 715-8211 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org