January 09, 2002
Public-Private Partnership (PPP) for the York Transit Plan
- The Provincial announcement of December 20, 2001 indicated that Golden Horseshoe transit plans with a public-private partnership component would be "especially encouraged."
- York Region is engaged in the Request for Qualifications for a Public-Private Partnership on its rapid transit plan. This is a collaborative effort between York, Markham, Richmond Hill and Vaughan.
- This is a unique approach to developing a rapid transit system. York believes that innovative rapid transit solutions that address transit efficiency, comfort, security and ridership targets will be the hallmarks of a successful system.
- York's objectives for the PPP are: to fast-track the successful delivery of inter-regional rapid transit; to bring stakeholders (TTC, GO Transit, senior levels of government, other GTA municipalities) together to support the concept of the project; to use advanced transit technologies; to obtain all necessary approvals to move the project forward; to generate innovative funding solutions that leverage private sector investment; to select the best technical proposal with the best financial offer; and to design, construct and operate the project.
- The Region is requesting submissions from consortia that can provide services in planning, designing, building, financing and operating a Rapid Transit Network. One of the key requirements is demonstrated experience in building stakeholder relationships.
- The Request for Qualification was issued on December 3, 2001 for submissions by January 11, 2002. A Request for Proposal will be issued to qualified proponents in late January 2002. Our target is to enter into a partnership with the successful proponent by April 2002.
- The Region's goal is to ensure that transit accounts for one-third of peak period trips to Toronto and to more than double the overall transit share within the next 30 years.
The Regional Municipality of York is committed to providing cost-effective, quality services that respond to the needs of our rapidly growing communities. York Region is comprised of the following nine area municipalities: Aurora, East Gwillimbury, Georgina, King, Markham, Newmarket, Richmond Hill, Vaughan and Whitchurch-Stouffville. For more information, visit our Web site at: www.region.york.on.ca
Contact: Patrick Casey, Senior Media Relations Specialist, York Region