April 16, 2002
The need for transit
- By 2021 there will be a 30 per-cent increase in automobile travel and double the number of trucks in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA).
- Delays due to gridlock add a 30 per cent surcharge to the cost of moving goods, draining billions of dollars annually.
- Transit funding in Canada has declined by 18% over five years.
- For every $10 million invested in transit, over $15 million is saved in transportation costs to highway and transit users.
- For every $10 million invested in transit operations, there is a $30-million increase in sales.
- Car costs are 10 cents/km per passenger compared to less than 2 cents for transit.
- Cities that prioritize freeways spend 12 per cent to 16 per cent of gross regional product on transportation, compared to 4 per cent to 8 per cent spent by cities that prioritize transit and more compact development.
The Regional Municipality of York is committed to providing cost-effective, quality services that respond to the needs of our rapidly growing communities. York Region is comprised of the following nine area municipalities: Aurora, East Gwillimbury, Georgina, King, Markham, Newmarket, Richmond Hill, Vaughan and Whitchurch-Stouffville. For more information, visit our Web site at: www.region.york.on.ca
Contact: Patrick Casey, Senior Media Relations Specialist, York Region