April 16, 2002
Public-Private Partnership (PPP) for the York Transit Plan
- The Provincial announcement of December 20, 2001 indicated that Golden Horseshoe transit plans with inter-regional public-private partnership components would be "especially encouraged."
- York Region is engaged in the Request for Qualifications for a Public-Private Partnership on its rapid transit plan. This is a collaborative effort between York, Markham, Richmond Hill and Vaughan.
- This is a unique approach to developing a rapid transit system. York believes that innovative rapid transit solutions that address transit efficiency, comfort, security and ridership targets will be the hallmarks of a successful system.
- York's objectives for the PPP are: to fast-track the successful delivery of inter-regional rapid transit; to bring stakeholders (TTC, GO Transit, senior levels of government, other GTA municipalities) together to support the concept of the project; to use advanced transit technologies; to obtain all necessary approvals to move the project forward; to generate innovative funding solutions that leverage private sector investment; to select the best technical proposal with the best financial offer; and to design, construct and operate the project.
- The Region has received submissions from five major consortia – members include SNC-Lavalin Engineers & Constructors Inc., Ellis-Don Corporation, Royal Bank of Canada, Borealis Capital, Hydro One Connex and Bombardier – that can provide services in planning, designing, building, financing and operating a Rapid Transit Network. One of the key requirements is demonstrated experience in building stakeholder relationships.
- Our target is to enter into a partnership with the successful proponent by May 2002.
- The Region's goal is to ensure that transit accounts for one-third of peak period trips to Toronto and to triple the overall transit share within the next 30 years.
The Regional Municipality of York is committed to providing cost-effective, quality services that respond to the needs of our rapidly growing communities. York Region is comprised of the following nine area municipalities: Aurora, East Gwillimbury, Georgina, King, Markham, Newmarket, Richmond Hill, Vaughan and Whitchurch-Stouffville. For more information, visit our Web site at: www.region.york.on.ca
Contact: Patrick Casey, Senior Media Relations Specialist, York Region